Friday, February 1, 2013

Respect the Other Side's Priorities

All roads do not lead to happiness...

When negotiating the purchase or sale of a house, knowing what's most important to the person on the other side of the negotiating table can help you avoid pushing too hard on hot or sensitive issues.

Consider where you can and can't give and balance that against the other side.  As the buyer, if you really need your closing costs paid, maybe you shouldn't push for a bunch of repairs and a discount on the price.
As the seller, if you need time to find a new house, maybe you negotiate a rent-back or lower sales price for an extend closing date.

Remember, it's not all or nothing. It's what feel fair to both sides.  A good real estate agent will help you find the best terms.

This can apply to everyday challenges as well.  Unfortunately, I have taught this to my daughters all too young.

"Mom, I know you really want me to go to bed.  An you know that I am always hungry at bed time.  So if I could just have some ice cream now, I can go to bed without telling you I am hungry."
:)

Have more questions?  Call me!

Further Reading:
7 Step Guide to Selling Your House
Should-I-ask-seller-to-pay-my-closing-costs
Moving Advice



No comments: